12 Lessons Learned From My Art Show in Taipei


Painting live in my outdoor studio at the Exposure Art Show in Taipei

Yesterday was a marathon of a day. A buffet for the senses. It all started with planning to bring just the essentials: A suitcase full of paintings and stationary, and my easel and paints. The table and tent was already provided. I arrived at 9:15am which meant that I was very early. 10am was the time to be there, but I didn’t want to feel like rushing it, so I gave myself plenty of extra time. My booth was at a good location, at the corner of open space, so I wasn’t sandwiched in-between vendors. My goals were to sell work, do my painting, and make some excited art lovers and new contacts.  When the day was done, I had sold two pieces (both with friends), had over a dozen new people on my email list, got some of my painting done, and left satisfied and exhausted.  I was on my feet for over 8 hours and endured the hot and steamy weather.  No rain, either!  Most of the people were there for the live music and beer, a crowded mix of foreigners and native Taiwanese.  It was my first large outing as an artist.  I wanted to show this side of the world who I was.  Most importantly, I had fun throughout the show.  My energy and spirits were up and I even did a paid portrait sketch.  This was a new idea and one of my friends sat down and modeled for me.  It turned out well, I was a bit nervous but I kept calm and pushed on through till it was done.



Here are 12 lessons I learned at my art show.

  1. Everyone’s a looker.  You have to open your mouth to build a bridge.
  2. Being friendly doesn’t cost a thing.
  3. My friends can inspire and help save the day.
  4. I may have touched a few lives, but I’ll never really know how many.
  5. Maybe they’re (people at show) not my demographics, but you can never count anyone out.
  6. My biggest success is having my old friends show up and new ones signing my guestbook.
  7. I’m convinced showing up is 90% of your success.  The other 10% is making the most of that 90%.
  8. People still love watching an artist painting at his easel.
  9. Plastic sleeves, a guestbook, business cards and my easel received high props.
  10. Black shirts are the best for any weather, hands down.
  11. Postcards-good.  Trying to sell sketches from your sketchbook-bad.
  12. Listen more.  Talk less.  Smile, work hard and never leave your booth.