Yesterday was a marathon of a day. A buffet for the senses. It all started with planning to bring just the essentials: A suitcase full of paintings and stationary, and my easel and paints. The table and tent was already provided. I arrived at 9:15am which meant that I was very early. 10am was the time to be there, but I didn’t want to feel like rushing it, so I gave myself plenty of extra time. My booth was at a good location, at the corner of open space, so I wasn’t sandwiched in-between vendors. My goals were to sell work, do my painting, and make some excited art lovers and new contacts. When the day was done, I had sold two pieces (both with friends), had over a dozen new people on my email list, got some of my painting done, and left satisfied and exhausted. I was on my feet for over 8 hours and endured the hot and steamy weather. No rain, either! Most of the people were there for the live music and beer, a crowded mix of foreigners and native Taiwanese. It was my first large outing as an artist. I wanted to show this side of the world who I was. Most importantly, I had fun throughout the show. My energy and spirits were up and I even did a paid portrait sketch. This was a new idea and one of my friends sat down and modeled for me. It turned out well, I was a bit nervous but I kept calm and pushed on through till it was done.
Here are 12 lessons I learned at my art show.
- Everyone’s a looker. You have to open your mouth to build a bridge.
- Being friendly doesn’t cost a thing.
- My friends can inspire and help save the day.
- I may have touched a few lives, but I’ll never really know how many.
- Maybe they’re (people at show) not my demographics, but you can never count anyone out.
- My biggest success is having my old friends show up and new ones signing my guestbook.
- I’m convinced showing up is 90% of your success. The other 10% is making the most of that 90%.
- People still love watching an artist painting at his easel.
- Plastic sleeves, a guestbook, business cards and my easel received high props.
- Black shirts are the best for any weather, hands down.
- Postcards-good. Trying to sell sketches from your sketchbook-bad.
- Listen more. Talk less. Smile, work hard and never leave your booth.